Self-employment in Switzerland

A well-planned start

To start off on the right foot, you need to clarify a few key issues (legal form, business plan, etc.). 

The legal form you choose for your company will determine whether you may, must or may not register the business in the commercial register.
Registration and the preliminary examination of the details are carried out by the commercial registry of the canton where the company is based.

If you are self-employed you must take out your own insurance. The two main types of insurance are social insurance for yourself and any employees and business insurance. 

Depending on the legal form of their company, self-employed persons pay either income and wealth tax like natural persons or capital and income taxes like a legal entity.

If you generate an annual turnover of more than CHF 100,000, you must pay VAT. You must register with the Federal Tax Administration (FTA) of your own accord within 30 days from when you begin generating income. Below the threshold, you may register yourself with the FTA voluntarily.

Lara Pairs

Attorney at Law
Email me

Copyright Counselhouse 2017
*Copyright Counselhouse 2017. Counselhouse is a legal service provider. All legal advisory services offered on this website are provided by Lara Pairs & her team. Lara Pairs is a registered business lawyer in Switzerland.