Work Permit

As a citizen of an EU/EFTA member state, you may enter, live and work in Switzerland. Special restrictions apply to citizens of EU-8 member states and from the 1st of June 2013 to the citizens of EU-17 (safeguard clause) as well as to Bulgarian and Romanian nationals.

Croatia joined the EU on 1 July 2013. The regulations for third-country nationals will, however, continue to apply Croatian citizens until the extension of the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons, and it is not currently known when the extension of the Agreement will come into force.

Short-term employment up to three months

For short-term employment of up to three months or 90 days per calendar year does nott require authorisation. It is nevertheless required to register your employment status with the canton.

Employment longer than three months

For an employment longer than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit with the communal authorities the place you reside.

Quotas have been reintroduced for employment contracts covering a period of several years, for self-employment or for unlimited employment contracts (safeguard clause).

Until the 1st of May 2014, such employment contracts may be issued to citizens of EU-8 member states until the corresponding quota has been used up.

Since the 1st of June 2013, quotas apply to B-permits workers from EU-17 states as well, until the 1st of June 2014.

Lara Pairs

Attorney at Law
Email me

Copyright Counselhouse 2017
*Copyright Counselhouse 2017. Counselhouse is a legal service provider. All legal advisory services offered on this website are provided by Lara Pairs & her team. Lara Pairs is a registered business lawyer in Switzerland.